![]() |
| View of the city's skyline from Providence Flea |
What makes Providence an attractive location for hosting an event focused on food tourism? What do participants stand to gain from meeting, greeting, and learning here in the Creative Capital? The food scene in our small city is exciting right now, and it has received its fair share of outstanding national accolades, but I thought I'd reach out to Seth Resler, the man behind the Taste Trekkers organization, and other conference participants to find out what excites them about Providence.
I asked some of the scheduled session leaders, panelists, and one of the conference's participating food trucks one of two questions: "What do you love about Providence?" for the locals or returning visitors, and "What are you excited to learn about Providence?" for the folks coming to RI for the first time. The gracious and enthusiastic responses I received are a clear indication that Seth chose the right city for this event!
I didn't know how this blog post would shape up when I started reaching out to participants. It is humbling that these industry experts took the time to respond to me, and what they had to say was inspiring. I have decided that an "In Their Own Words" format will provide the most complete picture of what makes Providence a Taste Trekker's utopia.
![]() |
| Photo Credit: Cat Laine |
"I love Providence’s young people. Their civic pride inspires me. Unlike my generation, who roamed the earth in search of the biggest paycheck, the 20-somethings I meet in Providence love their city and seek to improve it. Look no further than the kids running Farm Fresh Rhode Island to see what I mean. They are enriching the entire community by bolstering local agriculture, local youth, and the local food scene."
![]() |
| Gutman's self portrait at Haven Bros. |
"I love coming to work each day in Providence because it’s the birthplace of the diner…which I’ve been studying since 1970. We have a permanent diner exhibition right outside my office at the Culinary Arts Museum at Johnson & Wales, and I’m a short drive from poached eggs on toast at the Seaplane Diner—a 1952 stainless steel beauty—or if I’m staying late, I can grab a burger and fries at the oldest diner on wheels, Haven Bros., off Kennedy Plaza."
![]() |
| Photo Credit: Taste Trekkers Website |
"I am most excited to experience the food culture at all levels beginning with your farmers markets to the farm to table restaurants. The markets are a feast for your senses not only to experience what local producers are offering, but also to speak with each one- especially the beekeepers. Today my company sells exclusively to notable F2T chefs, and it is always exciting to taste how seasonal foods are transformed into edible gems at the table. In a nutshell, I love the journey from how local food is produced to the surprising meals they become. So Providence will be a welcomed food journey and a feast for my own senses."
![]() |
| Spotted: Noble Knots! |
(Providence-based food truck)
"We love all of Providence! Our favorite aspect, of course, is the food culture. As food truck owners, we are especially thankful for, and appreciative of, the food truck community. We also love the little neighborhood mom and pop restaurants. We all embody the spirit of creativity and love for food. In our opinion, with the abundance of diverse options, Providence has earned its place as one of the great food cities in this country."
![]() |
| Photo Credit: http://sethresler.com |
"What do I love about Providence? I think I like the pride that Rhode Islanders have. They're very passionate, and it reflects in a lot of the things that they do. It's a fantastic arts and entertainment city given its size."
I talk a little bit about my love for Providence over on this blog's About page. What do you love about the Renaissance City? Please add to the conversation in the comments below, and keep it going over on Twitter or Facebook using the #ourPVD hashtag.






I'm so looking forward to Taste Trekkers!
ReplyDelete